Thursday 10 April 2014

A recurring problem I have with doctors, surgeons and nurses.

It seems to me that medical school fails to teach medics the basic 'duty of care/emotional support' part of the course. Many times when i was in hospital for my surgery did i feel like nurses and doctors said things that were just not appropriate for a patients ears. For example, when i was throwing up lots, dont let me hear you say "oh thats really not good that shouldn't be happening". Surely you don't want to worry the patient even more.

Anyway, today, this issue arose again. I was having a surgical check up at Epsom Hospital and was expecting it to be with my usual surgeon, but it wasn't. It was with one of his team members, which i was okay with i didn't mind. As per usual, there were others in the room listening in on our appointment and my case-trainee nurses etc. Two things happened/were said that annoyed me/made me feel a bit aggravated.

Firstly, the surgeon asked me how the stoma was and i said it was fine not causing any physical issues. His response; "good, it isn't really that big a deal, is it?" I smiled and said no, but inside, i was thinking-you can only say that once you've had it, sir. How can he say that?! He has no idea how 'big a deal' it is! You can't possibly know what its like unless you have it. I dont care how many people you've seen with it or treated with it. If you dont have it, you can't know what its like. So dont try and tell me it isn't a big deal.

Secondly, as the more avid readers of you may recall, i had a colonoscopy about a month ago to check on how my rectum was doing. As expected, it showed colitis; redness ulcers scarring etc. That was fine i obviously knew it would show that. Today, however, the surgeon said, "oh you had some biopsies taken did you?" I explained they were from the colonoscopy and that they should Colitis. He then got the pictures up that were taken of my rectum and said "oh lord yes that is very red, very bad colitis. Come and have a look at this" and showed the two nurses, who then looked at me with the look i hate most, pity. I mean, i know its colitis thats clear and i know its not exactly 'good'. But, don't seem shocked that its bad and show others who then look at me like that. Just don't say anything if its bad it doesn't matter i already know it is!

I don't know, i just feel that medical staff could learn a thing or two about what to say and what not to say in front of patients, thats all.

2 comments:

  1. My consultant usually says RUDE things to me (ahaha no not in that way). Sometimes I'm so shocked at his outbursts that I just LOOK at him like WTF?!.

    ReplyDelete
  2. tell me about it. I just don't understand how such 'smart' people can be so STUPID sometimes!

    ReplyDelete